APPLYING DURING COVID-19 PANDEMIC
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, special precautions are being taken to ensure couples can still receive their marriage license as safely as possible for them and our staff. The following are the steps that will need to be taken.
1) Fill out the online marriage application at this tool. Please fill out all required information..
2) Once you get to step four, please review all information on the application carefully. This is exactly how it will appear on your marriage license. Once you have reviewed it, please print a copy out and sign in boxes 17 and 18.
3) After you have printed your application, it will take you to the cart. Enter your credit card information if you want to pay with your debit or credit. Enter in the required information and hit submit. Bring the signed application to the Courthouse along with your identification and we will complete your license order and provide you with your packet.
Before getting married in Macoupin County, couples must obtain a marriage license from the Macoupin County Clerk's office.
You can review the questions asked on the application or fill out an application using the online marriage application tool. Couples will still need to come to the Courthouse to sign the application, pay the $75 fee and get their license, but the online marriage application will cut down on wait time considerably.
Under Illinois law, only eligible persons can marry. Both partners must:
- be 18 years of age or older
- not be blood relatives
- not already be legally married to someone else or each other
- Under state law, first cousins older than 50 years of age may marry.
- Under state law, applicants who are 16 and 17 years old may obtain a marriage license with parental consent.
Both parents or legal guardians must:
- appear in person
- provide sworn consent of the marriage at that time
- provide valid identification
If a court-appointed legal guardian is providing consent, a certified copy of the appointment is required.
Applicants who are 16 or 17 must present the following:
- a certified copy of their birth certificate
- a second form of identification showing their date of birth
Couples must appear together at the County Clerk’s office at the Macoupin County Courthouse. They must:
- Fill out and sign a marriage license application.
- Present valid identification with proof of age.
- The marriage license fee is $75.
You can review the questions asked on the application or fill out an application using the online marriage application tool. However, you still MUST appear at the County Clerk’s office to complete the application process after finishing the online application.
Applicants who have divorced must provide the date the divorce was finalized upon applying for a marriage license.
Timelines and restrictions
Marriage licenses are:
- issued while you wait
- effective the following calendar day after they are issued
- valid for 60 days
- effective only in Macoupin County
After the marriage ceremony occurs
The officiant performing the ceremony must complete the bottom portion of the marriage license and mail or deliver it to the Clerk's office.
You may obtain a copy of your marriage certificate upon request.