The County Clerk’s General Office is responsible for issuing permits for supervised public firework displays in all unincorporated parts of the County. Those seeking a firework permit for use inside a municipality should contact the local city or village clerk.
Regulation of firework displays are dictated by the Illinois Pyrotechnic Use Act and the Macoupin County Public Fireworks and Displays Ordinance.
Pyrotechnic/Fireworks Display Permit Application (pdf version)
Online Firework Permit Application
Use the online firework permit application to complete the form, pay the fee online with your credit card, and print out the form to sign before submitting to us
Who may apply?
- Any group of three or more persons, each of whom is 18 years or older may fill out an application for a display permit.
What information is required on the application?
- The names, addresses and phone numbers of the individuals sponsoring the display
- The place, date and time the display will be held
- Proof of liability insurance of not less than $1,000,000.00
- The name, address and phone number of the individual who will conduct the display
How much does it cost and when will you receive the permit?
- A fee of $20.00 per display date must be accompanied with the application
- Upon approval, the permit will be promptly mailed to the individual authorized to conduct the display
Do you need special training to receive a permit?
- For a pyrotechnic display, the ordinance requires you submit a copy of your pyrotechnic operator’s license and a written letter or permit issued by the Chief of the Fire Department providing fire protection coverage to the area of display with your application.
- For a consumer display, the ordinance requires you submit a written proof that the cosumer operator handling the display has received training from a consumer fireworks training class approved by the State Fire Marshall as well as a a written letter or permit issued by the Chief of the
- Fire Department providing fire protection coverage to the area of display with your application.
What is the deadline for turning in the application?
- The application for permit must be filed in writing with the County Clerk at least 15 days in advance of the date of the display.
- Action shall be taken on the application within 48 hours after such application is properly made.
Are there any restrictions?
- No fireworks may legally be discharged, ignited, or exploded at any point in the State of Illinois within 600 feet of any hospital, asylum, or infirmary..